Friday, February 03, 2006

Ad Hoc, Ad Loc and Quid Pro Quo!


"So little time, so much to know!" (Thanks to Jeremy Hilary Boob PhD!)
The way my mind works the best is in list form, in tidbits that can be easily digested. I eschew large paragraphs because my mind wanders too much. Anyhoo, here's a list about me and what I seem to do the most or like to do the best (Let's trip the light solipsistic---wtf, just sounded good!)
1) Making lists of things to do instead of actually doing things on the list. I was at my worst before my wedding and then again when I worked at LRS. I worked feverishly at making sure that everything was included on these to-do lists, even making handwritten copies of remaining things to do as they were accomplished! And I wondered why I could get nothing done!!! I think it was my little way of avoiding real action, even thought it took more work to write and update the lists than to the actual things on the list!
2)Not assessing myself and my actions with an internal rubric, but relying on what others say or think. I haven't trusted myself enough to do this. What if I am wrong? But then again, what if others are wrong? I need to have a tougher, more independent mindset.
3)Making sure a list has at least three items in it, so as to appease the Gods of Outlines and Lists. As well as the Lesser Gods of Memos and Hastily-Scribbled Notes. 'Cause it ain't a note with less than two items on it. More like a demi-note or a quasi-list. Dear god, I need my medication increased.
4)Being a Dilettante-of-Sorts. This is in reference to my title for this entry. I dabble, I skim, I wander and wonder then I harvest various and sundry facts about so many things: world culture, language, politics, music, psychology, science. But the truth is, I know very little about a lot. And we all know that just a little knowledge is the most dangerous kind!! But it is a hell of a lot of fun and who am I hurting in the meantime? This type of thing does wonders for your Jeopardy and Trivial Pursuit skills.
5)Being disgusted about the State of Affairs in this Country. There should be no war in Iraq, no crazy-high gas prices or health care costs, a revamping of the entire health care system so that anyone could have access to decent medical care and a wiping-out of the influence that the insane Christian-right has on this country!!! Hopefully things will change in 2008. I don't have much hope before then. Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick, our country is in a shambles.
I guess that's it for right now.

No comments: