Friday, November 14, 2008

Photos from where I grew up...because nostalgia is taking over


I grew up in St. Charles Parish in Southeast Louisiana. I miss Louisiana so much.


Here is an aerial view of the area. The Mississippi River cuts through it, and it colors life in the area in every way. I lived on the East Bank where it was more developed.









This is where I went to school from 1977 to 1983, St. Charles Borromeo in Destrehan, Louisiana. I don't know why, but the statue makes me feel very uneasy. I have had many dreams about this church and school.



I met my husband in 1989, and his aunt and uncle were running Ormond Plantation at this time. This is also in Destrehan, LA on Brown's Curve along the levee of the Mississippi.


View Larger Map

And to top it all off, I found a pic of the house where I lived for 25 years...and here it is now. The trees have grown so much and the house looks even tinier. I haven't been there since 2000. Now I have it to look at without having to go there in person. Why do I feel the need o see it? It somehow validates my life and reminds me that I do have some roots after all.

1 comment:

Mr. Bill said...

Pretty cool pictures.

We've explored a little bit of La. My wife wanted to see alligators so we drove around SW La. along the backroads, checking out the bayous.

That was a good day!