Thursday, September 18, 2008

Should I or shouldn't I?

I have a job prospect as a French Translator that I am really interested in, but I have misgivings (if that is the right word). I'd be working for the first time in 4 years doing something that I think I would enjoy and be good at. Ava would get to go to school, which she desperately needs for her social development (and my sanity!!!). But...I wouldn't be able to tutor in the afternoons (which I love) and my visits to my folks in Louisiana would be curtailed. If I could do it part-time I could still tutor, but the reduction in pay might not justify me driving all the way over to NW Houston. Gas isn't cheap, after all. And could I handle a full-time job again? Being a stay-at-home mom doesn't have exact hours, ya know!

So, what should I do? I drive out tomorrow to do some preliminary paperwork and to take a "math and logic test" (haha, there go my job chances right there). I'll get to see how long the drive is and the atmosphere of the company. I need some new clothes and I hope I can appear as professional and confident as I would like.

I'll keep you posted.
(But...who ARE you? Ah, my imaginary readership!)

**UPDATE**
Just found out today that I did not get the job. I bet I needed actual experience in translation (even though the job ad says Translator Trainee). I actually feel more relief than disappointment. I would terribly miss tutoring Ben. It's all good!

3 comments:

candy sue said...

Do it, do it! It sounds like so much fun and so exciting!!! And it would be GREAT for you--you say you would be good at it and enjoy it. The other things will fall into place, don't worry.

Please do it! I want to know a French translator! I may have a job for you myself....:)

-Candy

Gren said...

Cool! Today I went to do the preliminary job assessment. It was a logic and math assessment and it kicked my butt. Word problems? Not my forte. I also had to do a personality profile, a vocabulary test and a test on business terms. Pretty rigorous stuff.
I'll let you know how it goes!

candy sue said...

Yes, do!

Any word yet?