Saturday, May 20, 2006

Kiss Me, Katy

We sold our house here in BR and will close on it May 26th. We found a house in Katy, Texas and we'll close on that June 1st. Houston itself was a no-go, with us unable to find a nice enough house that wasn't in a seedy neighborhood. So it's Katy for us.
I'm excited and sad, but I can't say which is stronger. I contacted Habitat for Humanity to pick up our dining table and chairs, and it is killing me because the table is the one that has been in my family since before I was born. I know, it's just a table. But it is the table that our family has sat around for 30+ years, the one we have all cried on, laughed around and shared meals together on. It's the same one I nearly burned a huge hole in when I was a senior in high school. I left a candle burning on it atop a paper cup (what the hell was I thinking??) and we all ran outside because it had started to snow, an unheard of occurence in South Louisiana. I came back in and the candle had burned down to the paper cup and the table was smoking!!! Thankfully, no one was mad at me since we were all so excited about the 1 inch of snow on the ground! Yes, we even made a snowman! We put my dad's blue Ford cap on its head and a carrot was its nose. It was damn exciting for us. The next snow I experienced wasn't until January of 2002 in Baton Rouge. See how infrequent it is?

My writing is disjointed and rambling, but who cares. My blood pressure is a bit too high (140/83, pulse rate 100), but my doctor said it's from the stress of the move. And I am too heavy, but food is my only consolation. Hell, everyone has a vice, and mine is food.

So Katy it is and will be. For how long, I don't know. I'll keep everyone updated.

Love, Gren

No comments: